Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Food, food and more food

Onions being sauteed in curry leaves, green chillies, lentil seed seasoning

Come October and its time to upload my recipes, stories and yes, lots of pictures of food onto my blog.

Some facts about my cooking and food choices. I’m a veggie by birth, who eats no meat, no sea food and refuse to even have soups made with meat broth. Nothing that crawls, walks or flies J I eat eggs though and I’m glad we get cage-free eggs, veggie eggs, hormone free eggs and so on and so forth.

When I married a meat eater I took the challenge to cook non-vegetarian food without tasting it. Hah, no big deal…I’ve come to know there are many cooks out there doing exactly the same.

My skills as a cook have been put to great use after relocating to the States from Bangalore, couple of years ago. Not too many ethnic communities in the town we live. So less diversity in terms of restaurants, grocery stores.


Lentil & jackfruit pappadums, sandige (rice fryums) and fried dry chillies - used as appetizers or as a side dish with the main course

I’ve to travel once a month, a good one hour on the belt way (yuck…see my blog on driving issues) to get my provisions from the Indian stores. The grocery shops such as Giant, Safeway do not stock curry leaves, Indian green chillies and the umpteen different lentils we get in the Indian stores. These days they carry items such as Naans and packaged Indian foods. Trader Joes and Whole Foods offer samosas, chicken tikkas cooked in their delis.

No comments: